Friday, April 3, 2009

Death

As I was getting ready for work earlier this week, I could hear sirens in the distance. This isn't unusual to hear this every morning. Whenever I've passed these emergency vehicles myself, I know that someone somewhere is usually in some type of distress, and not always from auto accidents. When I pull over to let them pass, I get a lump in my throat and usually say a quick prayer that God would be with them wherever and whatever they are heading to. I am fortunate to have family members, a slew of church family members, and friends that are part of law enforcement and the emergency teams in our tri-county area. They are very special people.




This particular morning, it sounded like a lot of different sirens. Not to sound selfish, but all I could think of was that some of my family members would be coming to work around this time, so I said a prayer for their safety. When I got out to the office, I was greeted not with the usual "morning, Becky", but with somber faces and the voice of my sister talking on the phone to someone about a sweet young lady and her baby. Seems as though this young lady, Tiffany, was killed when her and her little baby girl started out this morning. Not sure of the distraction (probably involving her baby Madelyn), but she hit a school bus. How fast things can happen. Little did she realize that morning when leaving her house, that she wouldn't be coming home that evening. None of us know whether we will lay our heads on the same pillow that we lifted it off of each morning. I know firsthand how quick accidents happen as I've had it happen to me twice in my lifetime. Fortunately I survived, but a few of my friends didn't.


Some of my blog this week has to do with procrastination. Don't put off another day of telling someone they are special, or that you love them. What about...please forgive me, or I forgive you? Don't wait until the kind words can only be spoken at a funeral. My family has always been a loving family, but what may be surprising to some of you is that we weren't the type to say "I love you" to each other. It didn't mean we didn't love each other--as we certainly did--it was just uncomfortable to say. When daddy got sick with cancer we started saying it every day to him; even moreso the last few months of his life. I'd give anything to be able to tell him today that I love him, but I can't. Because of my relationship with the Lord and knowing Him personally, I will see my daddy again one day when we're reunited in heaven.


In reading my bible the other night, I came across something I haven't read in a few years. A Judean king by the name of Jehoram....he was a wicked king. He killed his brothers with a sword, and the leaders of Judah. He built places for people to worship other gods. He led Jerusalem into sin, and led Judah away from the Lord. The Lord caused the Philistines and the Arabs to attack Jehoram, and they took away all of his wealth, his wives, and all but one of his sons. After this he became sick and died a painful death. The thing that struck me the most was that it said in 2 Chronicles 21:20b, NO ONE WAS SAD WHEN HE DIED. Imagine that. They didn't even bury him in the place where all the other kings were buried. Can you imagine people hating you so much that no one would be sad or mourn your death? That in itself is sad.


Although I knew Tiffany's parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, I did not know her like most of you did. But in viewing the pictures put out there on Facebook this week of her friends and her precious little girl Madelyn, I feel like I got to know a little bit of her through many of you and the sweet things written about her. You know what? I think it would be fitting to say of Tiffany, EVERYONE WAS SAD WHEN SHE DIED.




I end today's blog by asking you to continue to pray for little Madelyn and the Poupard family during this sorrowful time.