Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Changes

Change....who likes change? That was one word President Obama focused on during his campaign. For some people it can be a positive or a negative experience. For some reason its been on the negative side with me lately. I've been in the process of having to make decisions that aren't the easiest to make. Partly due to competition in the workplace, our business will be moving in the next week or two to another location down the road. Yes, I'm leaving the convenience of heading out the backdoor at home and rolling down the sidewalk to the present office to work, to having to load and unload in and out of the vehicle several times a day. Except for the couple of years I lived out in Montbrook next to my sister's house, I didn't have to go too far to work at all. This time, I believe the hardest for me is leaving the place my Daddy started almost 30 years ago. So we've been cleaning out desks, drawers, filing cabinets, shelves, etc. in the past week to get ready for the big move (for me anyway).



I stop here and there and recall experiences I had with my Daddy when I'd read sales books, ledgers, papers, and other things that would have my Daddy's handwriting on it....little chicken scratch, I'd call it. All of which has sentimental value to it. I went in the house at lunch and was telling Mama of some of the things I found and couldn't finish the sentence because I'd start crying. Everywhere I look I see "fingerprints" of him. It will be much different than what I'm use to...meaning more wear and tear on the hands...that I treasure. But it'll just take some time getting use to, I'm sure. Thanks to my nephew Logan and Peg for painting my new office....finely, rather than out in the open and where everyone has to come through and disturb my poor train of thought, I'll have an office of my own!

When I went out to ride my bike today during the noon hour, I turned on my radio and heard this song by Phillips, Craig & Dean. Of all that's been going on with the cleaning out of the office and finding the sentimental things, this song really hit home. I thought of my Daddy...



Nothing To Lose:


You taught me how to ride a bike, tie my shoes and fly a kite,
How to swim, and how to fish, to see and star and make a wish.
Said its okay to make mistakes, just don't get stuck in yesterday
Forgive, forget, and move ahead, because life is what you make of it.
Now you're gone and all I have are memories I hold deep.
But if I'm quiet, I hear your voice still ringing in my ears...



Saying, "Live with no excuses, and love with no regrets,
laugh a lot and leave this life with nothing left unsaid...
Make this world a better place, don't be afraid to cry.
And when it's finally time to say goodbye,
Nothing to prove, nothing to lose, nothing to hide".


You see, life can not be measure by...the place you live, the car you drive.
The thing that counts the day you die, is who you are, and what's inside.
So tell the truth, don't ever lie...integrity at any price
Your words, your bond, your highest price...so guard it close and live your life.
So many things I learned from you, 'bout life and love and play.
But I learned more by how you lived than what I heard you say.


Saying, "Live with no excuses, and love with no regrets,
laugh a lot and leave this life with nothing left unsaid...
Make this world a better place, don't be afraid to cry.
And when it's finally time to say goodbye,
Nothing to prove, nothing to lose, nothing to hide".


Today's blog is probably the shortest one you'll get from me, but I also wanted to let you know I didn't forgot how to write (it's only been 2 months since my last one). We may go through changes in this life, pleasant and unpleasant, but I serve one that never changes...

Every good action and every perfect gift is from God. These good gifts come down from the Creator of the sun, moon, and stars, who does not change like their shifting shadows". James 1:17