Friday, January 29, 2010

A Good Change After All


Greetings from the new Williston Farm Supplies...as Minnie Pearl says it best, "I'm just so proud to be here!"

Seriously, the transition to another office location has gone well...so far. Loading and unloading my wheelchair has made me well aware of every muscle I have in my body that works. Keep in mind that for the last couple of years I've only had to travel out the back door of the house and roll myself down the sidewalk about 25 yards to work. Here's a few pictures of my office (pictures still have to be hung).







It's almost exciting coming to work in the morning knowing I have a new office to come to. I know, don't laugh...you know that's something when you look forward to going to work. I mean, when you've literally worked in a barn, it's quite different to have an office that actually has a kitchen and bathroom, let alone an office for each of us. Yes, don't laugh...when it was on our own property, we didn't have to have a bathroom facility, not when all that worked there was family...you could run right up the sidewalk into Mama's house when the need arose. Now if it was a man that had to use the restroom, Wes could get away with telling them to "pick a tree" out in back. However, when you see a lady get out of her vehicle with a distressed look and say, "Where's your bathroom?" then we'd have to make a call to Mama and tell her someone had to use the restroom and send the lady up the sidewalk to the house. Telling a lady to choose a tree might make her get back in her vehicle and head back down the road somewhere else.

For those that don't know me, close to my father's retirement he decided to start an ag business supplying fertilizer and ag chemicals to the local watermelon, peanut, and hay farmers; so from 1981 - 1996 our office was in the house with our supplies stored in everything from the barn, to a semi trailer, then to a metal building, and that's when we converted the barn into an office. Back then we were the "only kid on the block" within a 15-20 mile radius. Times have changed, competition moved in...then out....so we've now got the other competition's office building and warehouse. We weren't dying to leave the old homeplace, but we needed the extra warehouse space.

Well, today was officially our first day back in business again since the relocating...also the last day of my work week and I look forward to sleeping in tomorrow....or perhaps I'll go look for some pictures for my walls....then again, maybe I'll stay home being my aching muscles need the rest.
He gives strength to those who are tired and more power to those who are weak. ~ Isaiah 40:29